Meeting Room Policy
You and your organization are welcome to use the Hazen Memorial Library Meeting Room. It is available for use by non-profit groups and organizations during regular Library hours. Guidelines for availability and conditions for its use are set by the Board of Trustees.
The room is made available on an equitable basis regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting its use. Permission to meet at the Library does not in any way constitute or imply endorsement of the users' policies, beliefs, or programs by the Library staff or the Board of Trustees.
Please read the following, fill out and sign the attached Request Form.
- Room Capacity: 90 people
- Availability: The use of the Meeting Room is at the discretion of the Library Director and the Board of Trustees. The room is available during regular Library hours. All programs must end fifteen minutes prior to closing. The room is not available when the Library is closed due to emergency conditions or inclement weather. Municipal boards can be exempted from this policy at the discretion of the Director or the Board of Trustees.
- Publicity: The Director must approve any press releases, advertisements or announcements about the meeting prior to publication. Any publicity must include the following statement: "This event is free and open to the public."
- Reserving the Meeting Room: Any adult over 18 years of age may request to reserve the room by contacting the Director, in writing, at least one week in advance. Reservations will not be accepted more than three months in advance. Scheduling will be on first come, first served basis. Shirley municipal board and organizations will be given preference. The amount of time any one organization may use the room is at the discretion of the Director or the Board to allow fair and equal access.
- Cancellations: 24 hours advance notice is required. Failure to notify the Library of cancellations may result in denial of future requests.
- Maintenance of the Meeting Room: The Library has limited custodial hours and staff. The room will be cleaned prior to your organization's use. You are expected to leave it in the same condition that you found it. Non-alcoholic beverages are allowed. Smoking is not allowed in the building or on the Library grounds. Use of items such as paints, crayons, glues, etc, are restricted, and permission from the Director is required. Be sure to arrive early enough to set up chairs, tables, and any equipment as needed. A vacuum cleaner and basic cleaning supplies will be provided for your use.
- Kitchen Use: A kitchen is available upon request. Please bring your own supplies and leave the room as you found it. Take all perishable items with you when you leave. All rubbish must be bagged and removed. The sink has a garbage disposal for food waste (no paper please). Always run water when using the disposal and for about 30 seconds after use to clear the line. Be sure all appliances are turned off when your meeting is over.
- General Behavior: The individual requesting the reservation assumes responsibility for the behavior of the group, and for the physical condition of the room, during, and at the completion of the event. Users are expected to behave in a mature, responsible manner, to respect the property, and the staff, and the patrons of the Library. Excessive noise, destructive behavior or failure to adhere to these policies can result in loss of privileges.
- Emergencies: In case of emergency, the fire exit door can be accessed into the main Library area. Notify the Shirley Police Department, located directly across from the Library, immediately.
- Liability Disclaimer: Neither the Board of Trustees, nor the Town of Shirley shall be responsible for injury to persons or property that occurs while the Meeting Room is being used.
- Liability Responsibility: The individual who signs the Meeting Room Reservation Form assumes responsibility for any personal injury or property damage resulting from the use of said room and will be responsible for any claims resulting therefrom.